Friday, December 5, 2008

The Need for Speed

There’s this girl I know *cough* who has a court date fast approaching. This girl *cough* *cough* is being faced with her third speeding ticket this year. It’s not that this girl has a need for speed; it’s just that she finds her commute to/from work to be the time when her muse is the most communicative. Can she really be faulted for not watching the needle on her speedometer when she is contemplating plot, conflict, and story arcs?

Well, according to the Illinois State Police, that answer is a most definite, not amused “yes”.

*Sigh* “This girl I know” better start remembering to set her cruise control.

On a side note – This leads me to wonder where the muse strikes other writers. Please comment!

3 comments:

  1. I have to drive into Los Angeles about once a week. Sometimes this drive can take an hour and a half and others I have a whopping three hours to contemplate. I find driving to be very conducive to story ideas. I don't know what it is...but it works! :)

    Agatha Christie had this to say...
    “The best time for planning a book is while you’re doing the dishes.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uberlong commute is my best plotting time. Maybe it's something about the Illinois roads. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The car is a great place for stewage. Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only one with speeding tickets. I also like to stew before getting out of bed in the morning and before I fall asleep at night.

    ReplyDelete