Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blog Chain Post: Watcha Doing?

It's my turn to start the blog chain! Yay! And I want to know...

Hi Watcha doing?? Pictures, Images and Photos

Are you querying? Gearing up to go on submission? Writing? Revising? I'd love to hear what's new with you. And if you'd like to share a snippet of your WIP, even better!

While waiting for KATANA edits I put the finishing touches on BREATHLESS and sent it off to Agent Awesome to await his notes. Needless to say, my nails have been chewed to the quick. BREATHLESS is nothing like KATANA as far as tone goes so...it's going to be interesting to see what Chris thinks. :)

In the meantime, I've started work on KATANA II - tentatively titled DOUBLE EDGED. For the last couple of weeks the words have been slow. I had trouble switching gears from dark/romance (BREATHLESS) to action/comedy again. Luckily, for no reason I can think of, two days ago a switch flipped and the words are finally coming. So, yay on that!

Aaaaaand just for fun I've included a snippet of BREATHLESS. I'd love to know what you think!

Bastin's eyes grew impossibly wide. “Your kind are cannibals?”

I laughed again. “Are you serious? Look, they’re only kissing.”

“Kissing?” He glanced from me to the rolling shadow across the bayou. “What is kissing?”

I stared at him. “For real? You know, lips pressed against lips.”

“I don’t understand the purpose.” He sat back down next to me. “Please explain.”
“Um…” I shrugged, searching for the words. “When two people like each other…they kiss.”

“Why?”

“To show the person they like them. So they don’t have to use words.”

“Why?”

I ran my fingers through my hair. “I don’t know! They just do!”

Bastin blinked, waiting.

I sighed. “Look, you’re asking the wrong person. I’ve never kissed anyone, so I don’t really know what the big deal is.”

With superhuman speed, Bastin leaned over me, trapping me between his arms. Before I could so much as blink, his head lowered, so I could smell the salt on his skin and feel the heat of his breath against my cheek.

I yelped and flattened myself against the dock. Bad move on my part because it enabled Bastin to swing his leg over mine and pin me down. “What are you doing?” My voice came out a pitch higher than normal.

He tilted his head so that his hair slid over his shoulder, cutting me off from the rest of the world in a curtain of silver. “I’m going to kiss you.

I'd love to know what you're up to. Feel free to tell me in the comments. As always, thanks for stopping by and make sure you check out Shannon's blog for her answer tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. LOVE your snippet! And congrats again on Katana! Hope you get your edits soon! This is going to be an interesting post for me considering the fact I've been waiting for "news" that has been pushed back yet another week. I wonder what I'll be able to post when my turn comes around....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should be an interesting topic! Thanks for sharing part of your WIP with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, what a unique and awesome scene! So different from what little I know of romance.

    Anyway I'm deep in a re-write but getting great feedback from my crit group chapter by chapter so things are going well, slowly but surely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's an awesome scene. Although you know the person's obviously going to kiss her when she says she never has, the way you handled it was intense. Nice job. Oh, and thanks a bunch for this question. Now I have to make sure my snippet is in decent shape before it's MY turn to answer. Hmmph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the scene. It's brilliant how someone who's never been kissed and didn't know anything about kissing could mistake it for something more sinister. Also, I can't wait to hear all the progress on KATANA. The whole process is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cole - OK, for someone who doesn't know what kissing is, Bastin's off to a good start. :) Have fun with KATANA edits!

    Amanda - so coy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, great snippet! The whole "what is a kiss" thing makes me think of Peter Pan when he holds out his hand for a kiss and Wendy gives him a thimble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been fun going through this part of your journey with you. I know you're agonizing over the waiting, waiting, waiting, but this is everything you've wanted to do--know that someone loves your book, know that someone loves it enough to want to work on it and publish it, and know that it WILL be on shelves where others can find it.

    As for BREATHLESS, yeah, I adore that scene. Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome, an interesting observation of humanity on your part. Kissing really is a strange thing when you think about it.

    As for the topic, I'm in so much trouble. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. *happy sigh* I love Bastian :D Keep me posted on your edits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great question AND great snippet! I wanna read more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! It left me breathless! I want MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your snippet is great! I really like the note you left it on. Really makes me want to read more and I like the sense I'm getting of your MC. Awesome! And congrats on starting work on book 2! I get jealous when people have titles, even tentative ones. I suck at that. My YA #2 is called...wait for it...YA 2 WIP. Do you think that title will sell? LOL

    Really impressed with all your accomplishments!!

    ReplyDelete