I'm a dork. A big one.
I wanted to be Bellatrix. The craziest, nastiest of them all. And with the movie premiere only a couple of months away, now is the time to get crackin' on the costume.
So, I went down to my local JoAnn's Fabrics to search through their Simplicity patterns. I'll be honest, I'm a self-taught seamstress. Sometimes my creations aren't all that pretty so, while I'd love to have the talent to just whip up a dress off the top of my head, I don't. So I needed a pattern that I could use as a base and that I found comfortable modifying.
I found this:
Next, I cut out the pattern.
Now it was sewing time! But before I started piecing things together, I pulled a thread down the center of the front bodice and runched it.
Next, I pinned the front pieces to the side pieces and start sewing.
Here the front has been pieced together.
And now for the back. Note that I left a slit open to add a zipper.
Now I sew the two pieces together and viola! I have something resembling a dress - or a large black sack. Either way, viola!
Next I added the neck facing.
And then it was time to pin on the arm-hole facing and sew that on, too.
So, if you look at the original Bellatrix photo you can see how tattered the hem is. What's nice about this cheap fabric I bought is that it naturally frays like the dickens. But to give it that tattered look I went ahead and cut some lines into the hem.
Okay, not. I ended up having to take it in a couple of times before I snapped that pic. But that's okay. It's always better to have to take things in than let them out. In fact, I don't even know how to let things out...
So, now I have the base for my Bellatrix dress. There's one more thing I have to do before I call it a night. If you look at the original photo, you'll see that Bellatrix's dress has silver swirly embroidery on it. While I can embroider, I can only do it by hand and, people, I don't have that kind of time. Enter my new bff: