Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Blog Chain: The Book was Better

This round of the blog chain is brought to us by Michelle McLean who asks:

There are so many book-to-movie adaptations out there. Which are your favorites? Which are your least favorites? Why? Do you make sure you've read a book before you go see the movie adaptation, or do you prefer to read it after, or not at all?

This is a great question. And, as a comic book geek, I have to expand this question to comic books. All I can say is, thank you Jesus for Joss Whedon. The Avengers? Yes, yes, and yes again.

 

Okay, but maybe I'm being a little dramatic. Still, it's obvious Joss read the comics and wanted to keep the movie as authentic as possible for the diehard fans. The X-Men movies on the other hand?




And that's because the Phoenix is my all time favorite character and to see her mutilated onscreen was too painful to watch. And seriously, she vaporized Cyclops? Now, there are many times in the comics (when he mind screws Emma Frost for one) when I wished she vaporized Scott. And there were so many things they screwed up or got lazy with. (Lady Deathstrike anyone.) Now rumor has it that Marvel might try and redeem itself with its new Wolverine movie. Supposedly it takes place in Japan and will address the Logan (Wolverine)/ Ureko (Lady Deathstrike) romance. There will be samurais (BONUS!) but Joss is not the director (FAIL.)

So, we'll see. I'm going to cross my fingers and wish for the best. And, while I'm wishing, could I please get a Joss Whedon X-Men reboot? Pretty please?


 If not, can I have an entire movie about Gambit? Yow-zah!

Wow. So I got off topic in a big way. To see more authors discuss this topic (and do a better job of staying on topic) Please check out Alyson's blog who posted on this topic before me. And tomorrow check out Amparo's blog to get her take.

How about you? What are your favorite/least favorite book to move adaptations?

3 comments:

  1. I just finally saw The Avengers a few weeks ago and it was so great! And I would love to see what Joss Whedon could do with the X-Men. My biggest disappointment from those movies - the direction they took Rogue's character in the final movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't seen Avengers....I really need to remedy that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOTR.

    But yeah, basically what you said.

    ReplyDelete